Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Chicken Broccoli Alfredo Stuffed Portabellas

CHICKEN BROCCOLI ALFREDO STUFFED PORTABELLAS
 
The last time I went shopping I picked up a pack of portabella mushrooms because stuffed portabellas is one of our favorite meals. Served with a salad it's a perfect dinner for the two of us.
 
Here's the portabellas
 
 And here's most of what went into my creation. As you can see, I'm currently a WalMart shopper so I'm going to use a jar of store brand sauce and a can of store brand chicken meat. And next I'm going to use up all the odds and ends of stuff I have on hand.
 


The first thing we're going to do is remove the stems from the portabellas and scrape out most of the gills with a spoon. Save the stems, we're going to use them in the filling.
 
 Next, I sprinkled each one with a little olive oil and some Romano cheese.

 I chopped up half an orange bell pepper, 3 cloves of garlic and a shallot.  You can use what ever kind of bell peppers you have on hand and any kind of onion.
 
Now I chopped up the mushroom stems along with a couple other mushrooms that really needed to be used up. It was about 1/2 cup all together.
 
I also had half a bag of frozen chopped broccoli, so I nuked it just long enough to thaw it out, and put it on a paper towel to drain along with the can of chicken. My fear is that with the alfredo sauce it's all going to run all over the place when I bake it!

Time to cook. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. We're going to sauté the peppers, onions and garlic in a little olive oil until they just start to sweat.

And then I stirred in the chopped mushrooms. I'm going to sauté these until the mushrooms release all their juices and then cook them til all the moisture is gone.

I'm still worried that with the sauce it's going to be too runny, and because I don't have any bread crumbs on hand, I'm going to use these almost stale crackers that I found in the cupboard.

I put them in a baggie and crushed them.

The mushrooms are done cooking, so I turned off the burner

Next, I really squished all the moisture out of the chicken and broccoli as I could

and then added it to the pan

Next I added the cheeses. I had this much parmesan

and this much mozzerella

and that didn't seem like very much so I added some romano too. Probably about 3/4 cup altogether

Then in went the crackers (save a couple pinches for the topping) and the alfredo sauce, (again, save a couple tablespoons for the topping)

And then I mixed it all together

And then I pilled it into the portabellas

I topped each one with about a tablespoon of reserved sauce and sprinkled them with the reserved cracker crumbs and a little more romano. And into the oven they go for 12-15 minutes.
 
 And while they baked I used up half a bag of leftover salad mix and my last big tomato to make a salad. Then decided to spread the salad out on a plate to make a bed for the mushrooms to sit on.

And when the time was up, they looked like this

And I placed them on the salad beds and served them up.
 
Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment