Sunday, April 21, 2013

Cream Cheese Filled Panckes with Berry Topping


It's like a whole plateful of Danish goodness! You can vary the toppings to your own tastes, but my favorites are always berry themed.

Here's what you're going to need:
         1 batch of your favorite pancake batter
         1 8 oz block of cream cheese, slightly frozen works best
         1 jar of your favorite jam, jelly or preserves
             Optional: butter, whipped cream;
   Highly recommended: A non-stick skillet or griddle, flexible spatula
       (because nothing on earth will glue a pancake to a pan better than cream cheese!)

I'm going to include my recipe for sourdough pancakes, but please feel free to use your own favorite even if it's instant out of a box. How much do you need? I don't know, how many pancakes do you want? I allow about a half cup batter for each pancake.

For the sourdough pancakes you will need:
         2 cups sponge
         1/3 cup sugar
         1 teaspoon salt
         1 egg
         1 teaspoon baking soda dissolved in 1 tablespoon water
         ( milk or water)

If you've got your own batter, skip down to the part where we cook them.
Here's my sponge. It's my sourdough starter that I fed the night before.

As you can see, it's really thick.
 
Here's the starter in my mixing bowl with the sugar and salt sprinkled
on top. Then I stirred it up.

Now I've added the egg and some milk (because it really was too thick).
You can add more eggs if you want. Stir it up until thoroughly mixed. The last
step is to stir in the baking soda/water. Stir it in and let the batter sit as you
heat your pan and prepare your cream cheese. The batter will bubble, it's normal.
 
Start heating your pan. The absolute easiest way to do this is to grate the cream
cheese while it's frozen. But if you are impatient like me, you can cut off slices as
thin as you can get them. And if that doesn't work you can even use globs. Keep
reading, I'll show you!
 
Now pour a half cup of batter onto your hot pan. And by hot, I mean that
water spinkled on it will dance, not lay there and boil away.

Sprinkle the top of the pancake with the shredded cream cheese...

 
...or dollop on some cream cheese blobs

Then cover the cream cheese with additional batter. It doesn't have
to be perfect, do it as best you can.
 
When it's cooked on one side, flip it over and cook the other side.

And when you totally glue it to the pan and tear it all up, just keep
cooking it until it's done. (Let me add a word of wisdom, it's way easier
to scrape out a cooked mess than a half raw mess)
 
Stack it on a plate, add some butter (or not)
 
Prepare your topping. This is some home made berry jam, I warmed
it in the microwave and thinned it with a little water stirred in (a teaspoon of water
in a quarter cup of jam, this is salmonberry, but raspberry, blueberry and
strawberry are all really good)

Pour melted jam over the stack

and garnish as desired.
 
ENJOY!
 
If you serve these hot, right off the griddle (rather than stopping to take pics)
the melted cream cheese will just ooze out. Either way, they are yummy!
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 




No comments:

Post a Comment